Spread the love
Compensation Of Mesothelioma

Compensation and benefits for mesothelioma
Most people who have been diagnosed with mesothelioma can receive financial help. This can be either through benefits or compensation.

Most people who have been diagnosed with mesothelioma can get financial help. There are 2 main ways of getting financial help:

Benefits paid by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). People with mesothelioma may be entitled to Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.
Compensation from you or your spouse’s employer – this may be your current employer or a former one who was linked to your exposure to asbestos.
If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you should find out more about getting both these types of financial help.

See also
Financial help

People often think that benefits paid by the government are means-tested, and that whether you can get them depends on your savings and income. It is important to remember that although some benefits are means-tested, many are not. A benefits adviser or your solicitor will be able to tell you more about which benefits you can claim.

You can also get more information from our welfare rights advisers by calling the Macmillan Support Line on 0808 808 00 00.

Local asbestos support groups may also be able to offer you advice and information about benefits. You can get information about support groups from Asbestos Victims Support Group Forum UK or Mesothelioma UK.

Statutory Sick Pay and Employment and Support Allowance
If you are employed but unable to work because of illness or disability, you may be able to get Statutory Sick Pay (SSP). Your employer will pay SSP for up to 28 weeks of sickness. Before SSP ends, find out if you can get a benefit called Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). ESA provides support to people under State Pension age who can do some work (permitted work).

Personal Independence Payment and Attendance Allowance
These benefits are for people who have difficulty moving around or looking after themselves. Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is for people aged 16 to State Pension age. PIP has replaced the Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for adults.

Attendance Allowance (AA) is a benefit for people who are at or above State Pension age.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB)
Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) is an important benefit for people with certain asbestos-related illnesses, including mesothelioma.

It is payable if the mesothelioma may have been caused by exposure to asbestos dust at work. This includes people who have worked abroad for a UK company. You do not need to have worked with asbestos to get this benefit. You only need to have been exposed to asbestos dust at work.

You cannot get this benefit if you were self-employed. You may still be able to get this benefit if you are retired.

You should always get advice from a solicitor about making a claim for IIDB. You will need to give information about where you were exposed to asbestos as well as how you were exposed. It is very important that the information on the benefit application form is filled in correctly. It may affect your claim for this benefit or other compensation claims if the form is not filled in correctly.

IIDB can be paid into your bank account every week, 4 weeks or 13 weeks.

People with mesothelioma are entitled to the maximum rate. If you are given this benefit, you may also be entitled to other benefits. You can get more information about these from a welfare rights adviser or specialist solicitor.

Sources ➡➡ Macmillan

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.